Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
We usually buy extra turkeys around Thanksgiving when they are on sale and I always experiment with different spices and I tried this and it was delicious. It also makes its own gravy.
- 1 (16 lb) turkey, defrosted
- lemon pepper
- poultry seasoning
- 1 can chicken broth
- 4 small chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 large vegetable stock cube
- 2 carrots, cut in half
- 1 large onion, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove bag containing turkey parts from cavity.
- Rinse turkey and let drain.
- Place turkey inside of Dutch Oven or a roaster.
- Put salt, lemon pepper, poultry seasoning all over turkey including inside of cavity.
- Place butter slices under skin and inside cavity.
- Place carrot halves and onion inside cavity.
- Pour broth over turkey and in pan.
- Add bouillons and cover with lid. Put turkey in oven and let cook for 45 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Turn oven down to 250 and let cook 3 more hours.
- Occasionally basting with broth in bottom of pan. To brown the turkey, remove lid during last 30-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let stand 15 minutes or so and then it is ready to serve.
- This recipe is really easy and it makes a delicious turkey!
This was by far the best turkey I have ever made this Christmas! I used the liquid for gravy, adding only some flour mixed with water and it was excellent. I would definately recommend it for any size turkey(mine was 20 pounds).
Very moist delicious turkey! I did my Thanksgiving turkey this way and it was perfect. I had a 12 lb. turkey, cooked at 400 for 45 minutes and then 325 for another 2 hours. nLoved it and the gravy was good too! Thanks for sharing, I will use this again.