Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Wonderfully flavored, moist, tender and juicy chicken! My best roast chicken!
- 1 (5 -6 lb) roasting chickens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, more if needed
- 2 teaspoons johnnies seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- Remove any "innards" from chicken.
- Rinse chicken and cavity with cold water, pat dry with paper towel.
- Oil outside of chicken well with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with seasoning salt inside and out.
- Place on rack in shallow roasting pan with a 1/2" of water covering bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle rest of spices and herbs evenly on outside of chicken.
- Tie legs together if desired. Tuck wings under.
- Roast, uncovered, in 350° oven for about 2 hours or until done. (*About 20 minutes per pound).
- *Baste every 30 minutes with melted butter.
- (You can also baste with juices from the pan when enough accumulate. But start with butter).
- Let chicken rest for about 15-20 minutes before carving.
- Great for turkeys, too!
I have made this recipe two times. I just had to write a review, this is the best cornish hen I have ever had. It comes out perfect everytime. Thanks for posting it.
Excellent ! I halved the recipe and used it on 2 Cornish Hens. I made no changes besides cutting the cooking time. Will certainly make this dish again. Thanks for sharing.
Great made a turkey. It was moist and deliciioyus can't wait for a chicken. Did add some lemon pepper as well.