Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
From a collection of my mother's recipe box. It can be used over meatballs or steak.
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook onions in butter until soft.
- Stir in flour and cook for one minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Never let sauce boil.
CookieMama was right. I was pleasently surpirsed. It sounded good in theory, but everything "sounds" good in theory. I added minced garlic (cooking isn't cooking without garlic) and used both red and sweet onion. The sauce went great with my steaks and steamed veggies. A winner for sure!!!
Fantastic easy to make and tasty sauce. For someone who doesn't really enjoy wine, the hint of red in the sauce was wonderful. We had it with sausages and mash and it was the quickest most tastiest sauce we have had. Try it and you will be surprised!!!