Recipe by Barb G.
This has been my way for making pot roast that my family really likes. It does take a little more time to prepare but the flavor is well worth it.
- 3 -4 lbs roast
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- 1⁄2 cup dry wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium onion, cut up
- potato, peeled and cut into pieces
- carrot, peeled and cut into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in Dutch oven.
- Coat meat with flour, salt and pepper to taste.
- Brown meat slowly, on all sides.
- Add chicken broth,V-8 juice,wine,Worcestershire sauce and basil.
- Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- May be cooked on top of stove, or in the oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit, or in a crock pot. Cooking in the crock pot will take longer.
- Add onion, potatoes and carrots.
- Cover and cook about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Make gravy from juices.