Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This has been my way for making pot roast that my family really likes. It does take a little more time to prepare but the flavor is well worth it.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven.
- Coat meat with flour, salt and pepper to taste.
- Brown meat slowly, on all sides.
- Add chicken broth,V-8 juice,wine,Worcestershire sauce and basil.
- Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- May be cooked on top of stove, or in the oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit, or in a crock pot. Cooking in the crock pot will take longer.
- Add onion, potatoes and carrots.
- Cover and cook about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Make gravy from juices.
This makes a very tasty and tender roast!! The flavor is excellent!! I've made it in the oven and in a crockpot..both were wonderful!
We had this last night for supper and it was very tasty. Did it in the crockpot and left the potatoes out and boiled and mashed them instead. Thankyou Barbara for the recipe
This was really good, the flavor of the roast itself was outstanding!! I did add some garlic to the recipe which may or may not have helped the flavor some, I made slits thruout the roast and stuffed them with minced garlic before I browned it. The only problem I did have with it, was the liquid had evaporated away before it was even close to adding the veggies, and I had to keep adding more water to it, maybe the heat was to high, I had used an electric skillet, but only set it at 225 degrees. I will probably make this again, (the flavor great) but at an even lower temp next time.