Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is just the best chicken dish! I have made this so many times, and it is by far one of my family's all time favorites, the recipe can easily be doubled if desired. The chicken has to marinate for about 1 hour. You will love this chicken! The chicken can be browned hours in advance and refrigerated to bake later, but don't forget to save the marinade from it! I have even added a chopped green bell pepper into the baking dish.
- 3 -4 lbs chicken, cut-up cut into pieces or 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 -4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄2-1 cup flour
- salt and pepper (optional)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained and reserve juice
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained and reserve juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange the chicken in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, oil, ginger powder and onion, and pour over the chicken; toss to coat the chicken pieces.
- Marinate the chicken for about 1 hour in the mixture.
- After 1 hour, drain the chicken, and SAVE the marinade.
- Mix the flour with salt and pepper (if using).
- Coat each piece of chicken in flour, and shake off any excess flour.
- Prepare a large fry pan, and brown the chicken pieces in hot oil on both sides; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the juice from the canned fruit with the reserved chicken soy marinade.
- Combine cornstarch with water, and add to the marinade; whisk to combine.
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Place the chicken in a shallow greased baking dish.
- Cover with the sauce.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Before serving top with the pineapple and mandarin fruit and sprinkle with almonds.