Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This sweet and sour sauce has been a favorite in my house for quite some time...it is a very good all-around sauce.
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple (undrained)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 cup plum sauce, plum jam or 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- In a medium saucepan, combine pineapple with juice, sugar, vinegar and soy sauce; heat to boiling, simmer on a low boil.
- In a small cup mix together the cornstarch with water, stir into hot pineapple mixture; continue to boil for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in plum sauce and remove from heat.
- Bring to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate.
Terrible tasting. And the soy sauce made it look to dark. Not nice and bright like all the other sauces I've seen or made.
This is the easiest sweet and sour sauce ever and I love sweet and sour sauce with pineapple so I was very happy to find an easy one like this. I added it to a pound of ground beef and served it over white rice. All I needed was a veggie side and it was an almost instant dinner. Thanks so much!
So easy to make. I substituted light soy sauce, reduced the sugar, and substituted sugar free apricot preserves for the plum sauce to make it less caloric. Will definitely be making this again, it turned out great.