Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Soft, tasty okra's with a tangy taste. One of my mom's best recipes and a absolute must try! Measurments are estimates as my mom eyeballs things. You can adjust prices to your own taste.
- 1⁄4 kg okra
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste, without seed
- 3⁄4 large onion, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 green chili
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat 1 and 1/2 Tbsp of oil in a fry pan on high heat.
- Add Okra and let it cook until some okay start to go brown (about 5 mintues); stirring frequently.
- Remove Okra from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Put the remaining oil in the pan.
- Add sliced onions, cumin seeds, green chillis and red pepper flakes and stir on high heat untill onions start to turn brown.
- Add salt, turmeric, chilli powder, tomatoes then stir and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add okra and tamarind and mix things together well.
- Cover and simmier on low - med heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with roti or rice with dhal.
- Enjoy !