Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Fresh Oysters are the key to this recipe... it is soooo good! If you are using fresh caught (not store bought) Oysters, use about 25 shelled Oysters (Don't forget to save the juice!)NOTE: If you are making this Chowder in advance, complete steps 1 - 4. Then just before serving cook and add the oysters to avoid them being "chewy". Serve with crusty bread... Enjoy!
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 sprig celery leaves, minced
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 pints shucked oysters and juice
- 1 tablespoon cream sherry (optional)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onions and potatoes in the butter for 10 minutes.
- Add milk, cream, clam juice, herbs, bay leaf and spices. Bring to scalding, lower heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove the Bay Leaf.
- Puree in a blender or food processor, 2 cups at a time, or press through a sieve.
- Turn oysters and their liquor into a small saucepan. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat, shaking the pan constantly, until all the oysters are curled at the edges, about 4 minutes.
- Pour the oysters into the puree and turn off heat.
- Stir in the sherry if you like.
Very good.....I added fresh prawns as well (I didn't have quite enough oysters) and a tablespoon of sherry...which gave it a bit of oomph.....and matched the oysters and mushrooms really well