Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is healthy and tasty. Great for people watching cholesterol and heart. Got it from a cookbook at a bookstore. Prepare these at least a couple hours ahead of time. NOTE: You can also put a tablespoon of liquid smoke (any flavor will do and found in BBQ sauces section) and also Vegeta (found in delis or foreign food section). Before chilling it takes about 10 minutes to peel the potatoes that is if you want to, and if you keep the skin on there will be more time for you. The only part that takes time is chilling the potato strips for 1 hour. Cooking is about 35 minutes.
- 4 large potatoes, you can peel skin off and keep (2 lbs)
- 8 cups ice water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil or 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Scrub potatoes.
- Cut in 1/2 inch strips.
- Place the potato strips into 8 cups ice water, cover, and chill for 1 hour or longer.
- Remove potato strips, dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- Place all of the spices above in a plastic bag and mix with your hand, or close the bag and shake it if you prefer.
- Get the potato strips in a bowl and put in your oil and mix well so they are coated.
- Then put them in the spiced bag and coat also.
- Place the potatoes in a nonstick shallow pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Turn to 475° for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil, turn the fries over, and bake an additional 15-20 minutes extra at 475°.
Was searching for a healthy alternative to greasy french fries and found this recipe. They are darn good! DH and I loved them.
These didn't work very well for us. I followed the directions closely, so I'm not sure what went wrong. After the covered cooking time, the potatoes seemed like they were steaming, so they were hard to turn over without falling apart. Also, there was too much spice for our tastes, especially the allspice and white pepper.
These potatoes brown very nicely, and the allspice gives them the flavor of Caribbean jerk. However, I think this is just a bit too much pepper for a side dish. Next time I'll use less pepper and more garlic. Instead of dirtying a bowl, I put the potatoes in the bag with the herbs and poured the oil in on top of them.