Recipe by eulalovescecilandpamphilo
This recipe is healthy and tasty. Great for people watching cholesterol and heart. Got it from a cookbook at a bookstore. Prepare these at least a couple hours ahead of time. NOTE: You can also put a tablespoon of liquid smoke (any flavor will do and found in BBQ sauces section) and also Vegeta (found in delis or foreign food section). Before chilling it takes about 10 minutes to peel the potatoes that is if you want to, and if you keep the skin on there will be more time for you. The only part that takes time is chilling the potato strips for 1 hour. Cooking is about 35 minutes.
- 4 large potatoes, you can peel skin off and keep (2 lbs)
- 8 cups ice water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil or 1 teaspoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub potatoes.
- Cut in 1/2 inch strips.
- Place the potato strips into 8 cups ice water, cover, and chill for 1 hour or longer.
- Remove potato strips, dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- Place all of the spices above in a plastic bag and mix with your hand, or close the bag and shake it if you prefer.
- Get the potato strips in a bowl and put in your oil and mix well so they are coated.
- Then put them in the spiced bag and coat also.
- Place the potatoes in a nonstick shallow pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Turn to 475° for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil, turn the fries over, and bake an additional 15-20 minutes extra at 475°.