Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love barbecue chicken and I love this way of baking it in the oven during the winter. I like to use chicken thighs, but you could use chicken breasts as well if you prefer those.
- 2 -3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder or 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon buffalo wing sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat being careful not to burn.
- Add the chicken and lightly brown.
- Remove chicken and place in a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Add onion (if using fresh garlic in place of garlic powder, also add) to the skillet and saute lightly for about 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the skillet and stir to combine.
- Simmer the sauce for about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend nicely.
- Pour sauce over the chicken, then flip pieces so that both sides of the chicken are coated with the sauce.
- Bake the chicken uncovered for about 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
These were fantastic! When I first chose this recipes, I didn't notice how much mustard was in this and I was a little skeptical about whether I would like it or not (I'm not a yellow mustard fan) as two tablespoons seems like a lot, but it really isn't. I also was not able to find a suitable buffalo wing sauce due to my allergies so I used Frank's Red Hot sauce instead. DH couldn't stop raving about these. The flavors blend wonderfully. I think this recipe would also work well in the crock pot. Will definitely make these again! Thanks for posting this Lainey. Made for 1~2~3 Hits.
I used both skin on and skinless thighs and some drumsticks. Lovely flavour. Made for Photo Tag