1/1 Photo of Delicious Oven-Baked Fried Chicken
(As good as fried chicken, with less calories!!!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Brine
- 4 cups ice cubes
- 10 chicken pieces, skin removed, pierced (breasts, thighs, legs)
For the Coating
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 -3 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk (can be reduced fat)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2Dissolve salt and sugar for the brine in hot water in a large bowl or container. Add the ice and stir to cool the mixture. Prepare the chicken pieces by removing skin and piercing with a meat knife. Add to brine and refrigerate for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- 3Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 4-quart Pyrex baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- 4Combine flour, pepper, salt, and paprika in a large, heavy bag. Remove chicken pieces from brine and pat dry. Place a few pieces of chicken in the flour mixture and toss to coat. Shake off excess flour and place on a rack. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 5Beat egg whites to soft peaks.
- 6Add buttermilk and stir gently. Dip floured chicken pieces in egg white mixture and place back into the seasoned flour bag. Shake. Gently transfer to a cooking rack. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- 7Heat oil in the prepared Pyrex dish by placing in the oven for 5 minutes.
- 8Set prepared chicken meaty side down into the hot dish. Roast for 30 minutes. Remove dish from oven and carefully turn chicken pieces over. Return to oven and roast 20 minutes more. Let chicken set about 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Oven-Baked Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (596 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 471.9
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 1.9 mg
- Sodium 12825.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 24.0 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: