1/1 Photo of Delicious Oven-Baked Beef Stew
2 hrs 30 mins
Browned beef cubes cooked with lots of veggies in a delicious thick rich tomato-based sauce, and the oven baking really adds to the flavor --- I use bacon grease to brown the meat but oil will do fine, serve this with cooked noodles and/or with a crusty loaf of bread, to serve as a thick hearty soup add in a little more broth --- this is *very* good! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons bacon grease or 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or taste)
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth (can use water but broth is better)
- 3 tablespoons dry tapioca
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 large thick carrots, peeled and cut onto 1-inch pieces
- 1 large celery (sliced into 3/4-inch pieces) (optional)
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, coarsly chopped
- 10 -15 small fresh button mushrooms
- 1 slice bread (broken into very small pieces)
- 1Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish or an oval casserole dish.
- 2In a small bowl combine seasoned salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- 3Place the meat in a bowl.
- 4Sprinkle the spices over meat, then using clean hands toss until well combined.
- 5In a skillet heat bacon grease or oil over medium-high heat.
- 6Add in the seasoned beef (in batches) and brown well on all sides.
- 7Remove the beef to a large bowl.
- 8Add in the undrained tomatoes, crushed chili flakes, beef broth, tapioca, beef bouillon, Worcestershire sauce and sugar; mix to combine.
- 9Add in carrots, celery (if using) potatoes and small button mushrooms and the bread cubes; toss to combine.
- 10Season with more ground black pepper if desired.
- 11Transfer to the baking dish.
- 12Bake at 375 degrees F for about 2 hours or until the meat and veggies are tender.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Oven-Baked Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 765.5
- Calories from Fat 431
- Total Fat 47.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 165.5 mg
- Sodium 389.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 44.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh button mushrooms