This has remained a long time favorite, I have even made this in the winter months and served it to guests many times, lemon flavor pudding mix is also very good to use in place of the chocolate --- you can make this well in advance, it can also be served as a frozen dessert just remove from freezer about 6 minutes before slicing this is just as delicious frozen! if you are serving this at a kid's birthday party place mini Oreo cookies into the topping of Cool Whip facing sideways --- I most always double the chocolate pudding mixture, you may also double the cream cheese mixture if desired --- this is very good!
- 1 (15 ounce) bag Oreo cookies, crushed, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) container Cool Whip, frozen topping thawed
- 1 (6 ounce) package chocolate fudge instant pudding mix (lemon flavor is also good)
- 2 1⁄4 cups half-and-half cream (or use whole milk)
- Crush Oreo cookies; set 1/4 cup aside for topping.
- Mix the remaining crushed cookies with the melted butter.
- Press into the bottom of a greased 13 x 9-in baking pan.
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese with the confectioners sugar on medium speed.
- Fold in half of the Cool Whip topping.
- Spread over cookie crumb layer.
- Refrigerate 1/2 hour.
- In the meantime, combine milk with instant pudding mix; beat well, until smooth.
- Pour over chilled mixture in the pan.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Spread remainder of Cool Whip topping on top of pudding layer.
- Sprinkle with remaining reserved cookie crumbs.
- Store cake in the refrigerator, covered tightly.