Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Here is an easy and different onion ring recipe. I've heard people talk before about ice cream being used for onion rings, but had never seen a recipe for it, so I came up with this. Cooking time depends on how many rings you fry at once, and how hot the oil is, so the 20 minutes is just a guess.
- 4 medium sized onions, sliced (about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick slices)
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, completely thawed
- 2 cups flour
- salt, to taste
- oil (for deep frying)
- Pour liquid ice cream into a medium sized mixing bowl and add onion slices. Toss to coat thoroughly. Let set for about 2 hours, tossing to coat about every 20-30 minutes.
- Put flour in a medium or large mixing bowl. Drain onion rings and add to flour. Toss to coat completely.
- Heat oil in large pot or deep fryer. When hot add onion rings and fry until golden brown, turning once.
- When done, place on paper towel to drain, then salt to taste.