Recipe by cookalot #2
A cookie that was always there! This recipe makes so many cookies my mother-in-law never ran out. This was a good thing for me as it was a favorite of mine. There are no eggs in this recipe. I think this recipe is as old as dirt. PS. I half this recipe.
Top Review by Bekah49036
I really wasn't sure how to rate these. The recipe was simple to follow and they were done in no time but there was hardly any flavor. Very bland. However, I could not stop eating them. Since they are not overly sweet you just don't get sick of them. I halved the recipe and apparently made my cookies larger than I should have because I only got about 20 cookies total. I will make these again but next time throw in some cinnamon and raisins.
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 4 cups flour
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Dissolve baking soda in boiling water and add to creamed mixture.
- Add vanilla, soda mixture, oatmeal, and flour.
- Roll into balls and press down with glass dipped in flour.
- Press a quarter of a maraschino cherry in center.
- Bake 350°F for 8-9 minutes.