Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Oat bran is a dominant ingredient and they taste very good!
- 1 3⁄4 cups oat bran (generic oat bran is usually too coarse, use a fine one)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot (or raisins, or nuts, or whatever)
- 1 egg, beaten (or 2 egg whites)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine oat bran, flour, chopped apricots, baking powder, brown sugar (save 2 tbs), and cinnamon.
- Separately beat the egg with 2tbs of sugar until fluffy and light.
- Warm up milk (just until lukewarm) and dissolve honey in it.
- Mix milk, egg, oil and vanilla.
- Blend together with dry ingredients, adding a bit more skim milk if the mixture seems too thick.
- Line a muffin pan with paper baking cups.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes.
- NOTE: It's almost foolproof, but you can test for doneness with a toothpick if you like: they should be moist but not wet.
- To retain moisture, store in a plastic bag.
- They're best served warm; reheating with the microwave works just fine.
Made these with apricots.Wonderful taste.Some were charred on bottom.Didn't use the muffin papers they called for, but greased the tins instesd. Baked for 20 min. Could this be the reason they were a little overdone? I am a new baker and this was my second try...Art
I thought the batter was a little thin so I added more oats and substituted the oil for applesauce and doubled the cinnamon. I also brought the temp down to 400 and baked for 15. They did not overcook at all and were incredibly moist- It was a great breakfast surprise for my family. Thanks!!!! :)
These were ok. Now very flavourful.