Recipe by Sara 76
Frost and fill this cake with Melanie's Honey-Nougat Icing. This recipe comes from the "Gone With The Wind Cook Book - Famous Southern Cooking Recipes". There is a note in the foreward which I love: "Gone With The Wind told of a style of living. as well as a romantic drama, A way of living, playing, and eating that thrilled us all."
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour and baking powder together.
- Cream the butter thoroughly. Add sugar gradually, continuing to cream until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat thoroughly.
- Add nuts. Stir in dry ingredients alternatively with milk, to which vanilla extract has been added, small amounts at a time.
- Beat after each addition until smooth. Pour into greased square pan (8"x8") and bake at 180C for 50 minutes.
- Bake in a greased loaf pan at 180C for 1 1/4 hours.
- Spread with honey-nougat icing.