Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I looked everywhere for a good mushroom alfredo. I used to saute the mushrooms and add them in, but they just weren't as good as I hoped. After some experimentation I came up with this recipe for my Mother-in-Law's birthday party and it was unbelievable. Everyone loved it! I served it over tortellini, but generally I'll just serve it over wheat pasta noodles.
- 1⁄2 cup sweet butter (halved)
- 2 cups portabella mushrooms or 2 cups cremini mushrooms
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small white onion (optional)
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 16 ounces thin spaghetti noodles (optional)
- Melt half the butter in medium saucepan over medium/low heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, and mushroom and sauté until the liquid is released. 5-7 minutes.
- Add the remaining butter, cream, and white pepper and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Stir often.
- Begin your noodles or tortellini at this point so everything will be done at the same time.
- Add the Mozzarella cheese and simmer sauce for 8-10 minutes or until sauce has thickened and is smooth, stirring constantly.
- When sauce has thickened add the Parmesan cheese and stir frequently until smooth. Remove from heat when sauce has reached desired consistency.
You are right it is delicious! I had two bowlfuls and craving for more! My picky four year old son liked it also!