Recipe by pink cook
The combination of chocolate and flan together makes this cake a hit every time I make it, because everybody loves its excellent flavor and its presentation. It looks wonderful when is turned over a serving plate with the flan cooked over the chocolate cake. Enjoy it.
- 1 (18 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 (13 ounce) can Nestle sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (13 ounce) can Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (12 1/4 ounce) jar caramel topping
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves, for decoration
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven at 350ºF. Spray a bundt pan with cooking oil and pour 1/4 cup of the caramel topping in bottom of pan.
- Prepare the chocolate cake according with the directions in the back of the box, and beat until smooth and pour in the prepared pan.
- In the blender place the two milks, eggs and vanilla extract and blend well.
- Now be very careful adding slowly the blended milk mixture over the chocolate cake mixture already poured in the pan.
- THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: place a sheet of aluminum foil on top of the bundt pan with the cake. Place in large roasting pan; add 1 inch of hot water to roasting pan. and then place it in the center rack of the preheated oven, without moving the mixture too much, so the cake and the flan won't mix with each other.
- Cook for 1 hour and check for the flan to be cooked and set, inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean the cake is done, but if not, let it in the oven covered with aluminum for 10 more minutes until flan is completely set.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for about 15 minutes, separating the sides with a spatula, and turn it very carefully over in a serving plate.
- Decorate with halves pecans on top of the caramel sauce and place in the refrigerator. Serve cold and -- Enjoy it!
- VARIATION: I have used Duncan Hines Caramel cake mix and the taste with the flan is excellent, too.