Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Two of my hubby's friends were visiting and I was unprepared for dinner. I didn't have much in the fridge and had no time to run to the store. So I decided to whip up a tasty casserole, considering you can put almost anything into one. It was a big hit. Everybody LOVED it & there wasn't a bite to spare! It was manly enough for them, yet enjoyable for kids too.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb fusilli
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 (14 ounce) canof ready cut diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) canof sliced olives
- 1 (6 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄4 teaspoon of powdered habanero pepper (If you like it REALLY spicy use 1/2 tsp)
- 7 ounces chipotle peppers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt & pepper (to taste-I use sea salt)
- 1 -2 avocado (optional)
- 16 ounces sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dice onions.
- Finely chop garlic.
- Prepare pasta & cook for 2.5 minutes less than directions call for.
- Drain black beans & wash in a colander.
- Dice avocados.
- Heat burner on medium.
- Saute onions, until soft & slightly yellow.
- Add ground beef, 2-3 chipotle peppers and garlic.
- Sprinkle cumin, coriander and salt & pepper.
- Continue stirring until browned.
- Add green chilis and black beans, then stir.
- Drain juice from tomatoes & add to pan,.
- Mix everything thoroughly together.
- Spoon pan into 9x11 baking dish.
- Layer with olives.
- Sprinkle both cheeses evenly.
- Cover baking dish with tin foil.
- Cook for 30 minute.
- Remove tin foil & allow to cool.
- Serve with avocados & sour cream.
Very unique recipe. Changed a couple things, decreased the pasta & increased the beef & cheese abit. The recipe didn't say what/when to incorporate the pasta so I just added it to the bottom of the baking dish & pour meat mixture overtop. For the habenaro powder I added cayenne pepper but cut it back, I could have done more. Tasty recipe, thanks for sharing.