Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
I like menudo, but not tripe. I find by using lean pork chops, it is healthy and delicious and tastes much better.
- 2 lbs cooked pork chops or 2 pork steak, cooked and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken bouillon
- 2 cups hominy
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 teaspoon oregano (for garnish)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion (for garnish)
- salt and pepper
- Brown onions about 5 minutes.
- Add meat and garlic.
- Add rest of ingredients and simmer about an hour.
This would be called Pozole; it's almost identical to menudo but pork replaces the tripe and it's very good. I serve condiments that include chopped white onion, chopped green onion, chopped cilantro, dried red pepper flakes, dried crushed oregano (preferably mexican oregano) and lemon or lime wedges to be squeezed into the soup. Serve with tortillas on the side -- YUM!!