Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
My family likes spice so I add in about 2 teaspoons dried chili flakes when sauteeing the veggies, but that is optional, you can sub chili sauce for the ketchup ---if you prefer to use fresh sliced mushrooms, just saute in the skillet before the onions and other ingredients, any leftovers makes a fantastic sandwich! :)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter (can use more)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled (chopped into about 1/4-inch pieces)
- 3 teaspoons seasoning salt (or use white salt to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (can use more)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained (can use more)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup fresh minced parsley
- parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup (or to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet melt butter; saute the onions, green onion, garlic, chopped celery and carrots over medium heat, stirring for until the carrots are fork-tender (about 10 minutes).
- Season with seasoning salt and pepper.
- Add in Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup ketchup; cook stirring 2 minutes; remove from heat.
- In a large bowl combine the sauteed veggies, ground beef and pork, mushrooms, bread crumbs, eggs, milk, Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Pat into a shallow 10 x 5-inch oval baking dish.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, then drizzle about 1-1/2 cups ketchup over the mixture.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until cooked.
This was the absolute best meatloaf ever!! I made this for my boyfriend and his family and they ate the whole thing and his brothers hate meatloaf! They said it was "bomb" meaning it was delicious; I myself was a little skeptical at making since I have never put anything but meat in my meatloaf; it was was sooooo delicious!!!! Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Absolutely incredible recipe! I used this recipe as a guide for my "fridge cleanout". I didn't have a few of the ingredients (carrot, green onion, parsley, ground pork) but used some other things kicking around to replace them! Threw in diced sweet potato (microwaved in advance to ensure it softened), a couple of handfuls of arugula, replaced the canned mushrooms with fresh, and used only ground beef. So good! Definitely a keeper of a recipe, and so easy to make substitutions for variety in the veggies. Thanks!
We have family members that do not eat veggies, so I put all veggies after sauteing into the blender along with the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, seasonings, and eggs. It turned out great, and everyone loved it.