Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My family likes spice so I add in about 2 teaspoons dried chili flakes when sauteeing the veggies, but that is optional, you can sub chili sauce for the ketchup ---if you prefer to use fresh sliced mushrooms, just saute in the skillet before the onions and other ingredients, any leftovers makes a fantastic sandwich! :)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter (can use more)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled (chopped into about 1/4-inch pieces)
- 3 teaspoons seasoning salt (or use white salt to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (can use more)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained (can use more)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup fresh minced parsley
- parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup (or to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet melt butter; saute the onions, green onion, garlic, chopped celery and carrots over medium heat, stirring for until the carrots are fork-tender (about 10 minutes).
- Season with seasoning salt and pepper.
- Add in Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup ketchup; cook stirring 2 minutes; remove from heat.
- In a large bowl combine the sauteed veggies, ground beef and pork, mushrooms, bread crumbs, eggs, milk, Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Pat into a shallow 10 x 5-inch oval baking dish.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, then drizzle about 1-1/2 cups ketchup over the mixture.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until cooked.
This was the absolute best meatloaf ever!! I made this for my boyfriend and his family and they ate the whole thing and his brothers hate meatloaf! They said it was "bomb" meaning it was delicious; I myself was a little skeptical at making since I have never put anything but meat in my meatloaf; it was was sooooo delicious!!!! Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Enjoyed the flavours, thanks for sharing.
Kittencal, Outstanding meatloaf, thanks ever so much for sharing. Being the cook I am I made some changes but they were very minor. I used a combination of beef, Italian sausage (for the fennel), and ground turkey. Then, instead of topping with the ketchup I sauteed the fresh, sliced mushrooms and created a savory sauce with beef stock and red wine to serve with the meatloaf and creamy mashed potatoes. Oh, and for the seasoning salt I used Emeril's Creole Seasoning Emeril's Creole Seasoning. We keep that on hand and use it very liberally.