Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Cooking the meatballs in the sauce makes a very flavorful sauce and very tender meatballs.
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage (hot, sweet or mild)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian spices
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole Italian tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- olive oil
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- French roll, hoagie rolls, crusty rolls (cut in half horizontally)
- fresh sliced mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese
- pepperoni slice (optional)
- Heat a large saucepan and add olive oil. Add diced bell peppers and onions. Saute until softened and add garlic. Saute for 2 - 3 minutes more and add canned tomatoes and tomato paste. Use a the back of a large spoon, break up the tomatoes. Add herbs and pepper flake. Season with salt to taste. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Combine all ingredients for meatballs in a large bowl and combine well with your hands. Form meat into meatballs and drop into the boiling sauce one at a time. As you continue to add meatballs, gently stir the ones that are cooking around to make room for the new ones. After all the meatballs are in the sauce, keep the heat on a simmer and place a lid on on the saucepan. Simmer, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes or until meatballs are done.
- Preheat broiler. Serve meatballs on rolls and top with pepperoni then the cheese. Place under broiler for just a few minutes to melt cheese.