Recipe by SaraFish
A rich-tasting and yummy vegetarian dinner with tangy tomato sauce and filling lowfat cheeses. Check out the picture! It's a layered dish so it looks pretty too! Uses just ONE TEASPOON of oil! I think you could add a meat layer to it if you wanted to.
Top Review by Kim Peters
Just had this tonight. It was winner. Since I do not have children to feed I really spiced it up. Also I added more veggies for health reasons. I used a hot turkey saugage thinly sliced. When I was sauteing the zucchinis I added mushrooms and spinach. I also used about 3 times more garlic and added red pepper as well as black.
- 1 (12 ounce) package pasta (I use rotini)
- 1 (26 ounce) canlowfat spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water for 1-2 minutes less than the package directions say (so it's still quite firm and little undercooked).
- Drain and return to the pan.
- Toss with about 2/3 of the can of spaghetti sauce.
- Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, mix together ricotta, cottage cheese, parmesan and pepper.
- Stir til smooth.
- Set aside.
- Next, saute the zucchini, onion, and garlic in the olive oil.
- Add oregano, basil, salt and water.
- Cook until water has evaporated and zucchini is tender-crisp.
- Make sure the onion doesn't burn.
- Set aside.
- Assemble as follows in a 2 quart casserole dish that you've sprayed with Pam.
- First, put in about 1/2 of the cooled pasta, pat down with the back of your spoon.
- Then spread out the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Next, make a layer with the zucchini mixture.
- Again, pat with the back of your spoon so the zucchini nestles into the ricotta.
- Sprinkle with about 1/2 of the reduced fat mozzarella.
- Then put in the rest of the pasta.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle the top with remaining mozzarella.
- bake at 350 for about 35 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving.