Recipe by I Can't Believe It's Healthy
This is an adaptation from the 'Joy of Cooking' Recipe. So good! I encourage anyone to try it! Highly spiced and wonderfully soft, as well as low-fat and half whole-wheat!
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 12 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- additional granulated sugar, to roll in (optional, but recommended!)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line the cookie sheet with parchment paper (this keeps the cookies softer).
- Cream the margarine and brown sugar in a large bowl, then stir in the egg whites(beaten) and the molasses and vinegar.
- Sift together remaining ingredients and add to the wet mixture.
- Shape into 24 balls and roll them in the additional granulated sugar. Lightly press them on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Let the cookies sit on the pan for about 2 minutes to firm slightly, then slide onto a cooling rack. ENJOY!
- Store these in an airtight container in layers lined with wax paper (prevents sogginess).