Recipe by Ripperjtl
My family loves this meal & it's easy to make. It's a great tasting, low-fat dinner. Just add your favorite side dish or vegetable. This comes from the cookbook, "1,001 More Low-Fat Recipes", which has a ton of good recipes in it. You can alter the ingredients to add some of the fat back in if you don't prefer no-fat ingredients. Enjoy!
Top Review by April1
I didn't make the meat part of it because we had country fried steak from another source but my husband made the gravy to go with ours...it was very good! I will be making this again!! Thanks for sharing.
- 1 lb boneless eye of round beef steak (4 steaks - 4oz. each, fat trimmed)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 egg whites or 1⁄4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs (seasoned or unseasoned your choice)
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk or 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- salt & pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound the steaks to about 1/4 inch thickness. If the steaks are thicker, you will have to increase the cooking time.
- Combine egg whites & milk.
- Coat steaks lightly with flour.
- Dip Floured Steaks in Egg mixture & coat with Breadcrumbs.
- Spray both sides of steak.
- Generously spray skillet with cooking spray & heat over medium heat until hot.
- Cook steaks over medium heat until browned (about 5 minutes on each side).
- Cover & cook over LOW heat until steaks are tender, 30-40 minutes, turn ocasionally.
- Season with Salt & pepper, serve with gravy, instructions are below.
- Melt margarine in medium saucepan.
- Stir in Flour & cook over medium-low heat 1 minute, STIRRING CONSTANTLY.
- Whisk in milk & beef crystals, heat to boiling.
- Boil until thickened, about 1 minute, STIRRING CONSTANTLY.
- Stir in Sour Cream & cook for 1-2 minutes, season with salt & pepper to your liking.