Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
If you prefer more spice then increase the spices, you can also add in chopped walnuts if desired.
Make and share this Delicious Low-Fat Carrot Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl combine the cake flour, baking soda and spices.
- In another bowl beat egg and egg whites together with sugar and oil until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in buttermilk and vanilla; mix until combined.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture to the liquid mixture using low speed or with a wooden spoon.
- Add in shredded carrots and pineapple into the batter; mix until combined using wooden spoon.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the cake tests done.
- Cool completely if frosting.
Wow! I just took this out of the oven, it's not even cooled yet. I just had to taste it, and I did. This is so moist, so flavorful, I'm just blown away! I keep trying Kitten's low-fat or fat free recipes,as I am on a low fat assignment Lol! I keep waiting to find a low/free (fat)recipe that I don't like! I am not a clove person, and nutmeg is right up there too, so I just put extra cinnamon in it. I had whole allspice so I ground it up. I can't even find 1 thing wrong with this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing, Kitten! This is definately a keeper!
Kitten, I don't like having to change your recipes too much, but I really thought I had pineapple and discovered I was out after mixing this cake up. I used 1 cup of applesauce instead (though not the same) and used 1/2 splenda and brown sugar. I added some raisins to this. This cake turned out moist and still low fat. Everyone seems to be on a diet and I am trying low fat recipes. Even though I had to make a few changes this still was absolutely delicious. Thank you!
Delicious! Made as is! No need for frosting as the cake is real tasty! Thanks Kit!