From Delicious Living magazine. "A little ginger and honey make cooked plums even more delectable. In about two minutes they start to release their juices, and as they sit, they’ll release even more, creating fruit compote. There’s no need to limit your fruit to plums; you could slice in a peach or nectarine that’s a little on the firm side, or add a handful of berries at the end, or pitted cherries. I like these plums just as they are, but also with a spoonful of coffee or vanilla ice cream and a topping of toasted sliced almonds." I reduced the yield and used one black plum and one pluot with the test recipe. Also, I didn't have time to make ice cream or even whipped cream and with our servings lightly drizzled a small amount of heavy cream over the fruit. Next time I'll try a dollop of Greek yogurt!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large plums, in season
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom honey (I used local honey and added 1 teaspoon of orange blossom water) or 2 tablespoons honey and 1 teaspoon orange blossom water (I used local honey and added 1 teaspoon of orange blossom water)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (reduced from 1 tablespoon because I wanted a subtle ginger taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom (switched from ground ginger)
- 1Rinse plums and slice into wedges about ¾-inch thick at their widest part.
- 2In a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter with *honey, grated ginger and ground cardamom. *Note: If using orange blossom water, stir it in at the end when you remove the pan from the burner.
- 3When the mixture is saucy, add plums.
- 4Increase heat and cook, moving fruit around pan about every 20 seconds so that cut surfaces take on some color and juices begin to flow, 2–3 minutes.
- 5Stop cooking when juice just coats fruit.
- 6Remove from heat and transfer to a serving bowl, scraping in all pan liquid.
- 7Serve warm or cool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Living's Compote of Plums/Pluots W/ Fresh Ginger
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 63.2
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 5.7 mg
- Sodium 19.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 0.4 g