Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
Wonderful little meat pies. The filling is lean ground beef with bell peppers, garlic, mushroom soup mix, and onions wrapped up in a cream cheese biscuit.
Top Review by Erindipity
I had hoped for more from this recipe, but really felt they were only okay. If you really love the taste of hamburger and mushroom soup (which I also list as only okay) you will probably like these much more than I did. I made them as part of the Tag Freeze It Challenge. So, I made the entire batch, ate some fresh, froze some cooked and some uncooked. First, in the making. I highly recommend you freeze the biscuit dough because it is horrible to work with. It was really sticky, difficult to roll and I hadd to flour everything so heavily that there was flour everywhere. Freezing the dough for 10 minutes and then working in small batches seems to help with this. Also work the dough as little as absolutely possible. The more you work it, the stickier it gets. To freeze I allowed the cooked pies to cool, then placed in a zip top bag and froze. I tried reheating in the microwave, but they got soggy. I also tried reheating in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes. This worked much better. They tasted just like those baked fresh. I also placed several uncooked pies on a cookie sheet and froze before transfering to a zip top bag. These I baked at 350 for about 25 minutes. They are also fine with the texture very similar to fresh. I will not make the recipe again because I didn't feel the time and effort was worth the finished product, however I may feel differently if I had figured out to freeze the dough early on in the rolling process. By the time I tried this I was already so frustrated I wanted to throw the whole mess in the garbage.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (chuck or round is best)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- red pepper
- lemon pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can mushroom soup
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs
Cream cheese biscuits
- 1 1⁄2 cups margarine, softened
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together well margarine and cheese.
- Gradually add the flour and pepper and mix together well roll out the dough and cut with the biscuit cutter.
- Brown the meat; add remaining ingredients except for the soup and eggs. Cook until done.
- Add the soup and raw eggs; mix well. Cool meat mixture; chill.
- Spoon 1 teaspoonful of meat mixture into each biscuit dough round.
- Fold dough over meat filling and seal with fork tines.
- Bake and 350°F degrees until biscuits are lightly browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pies maybe frozen on cookie sheets and stored in freezer bags until needed.