Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from a cooking forum years ago, working my way through my cookbooks, putting my favourites online and came across this. It's very yummy! I've made a couple of mod's. Serving size is estimated, it makes a LOT of taco mix.
- 236.59 ml dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 14.79 ml oil
- 230 g tinned tomatoes (give or take)
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml garlic salt
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- water, as required
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, when hot, brown the onions.
- Add the lentils and then cover with water (will depend on pot size).
- Add all other ingrediants and bring to the boil.
- Turn heat to low and simmer until the mixture thickens. Add more water if required and stir often so that the mixture doesn't stick to the pan.
- Continue checking and stirring for approx 1 hour or until the mixture is the consistancy of cooked oatmeal (or until lentils are tender and tasty!).
- Serve with your favourite taco setup.
This is delicious indeed, as well as very good, healthy and inexpensive. Try this for your next meatless meal and you'll be glad you did! Jumping into my Best of 2013 Cookbook!