Recipe by SaraFish
A rich savory vegetarian chili that's easy to make and smells wonderful. High in fiber and low in fat. It even looks like meaty chili (see pic!). Serve topped with cheese, onions and sour cream with cornbread or chips for a satisfying meal!
- 1 lb dry lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water.
- Add salt and lentils.
- Cover and cook over low heat 30 minutes.
- Do not drain.
- Add tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion, celery, garlic and cold water.
- Cover and continue to cook over low heat for an additional 30 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Turn off heat, taste for seasoning.
- I add about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Top with shredded cheese, chopped onion and a dollop of sour cream or whatever you usually put on your favorite chili!