Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
A rich savory vegetarian chili that's easy to make and smells wonderful. High in fiber and low in fat. It even looks like meaty chili (see pic!). Serve topped with cheese, onions and sour cream with cornbread or chips for a satisfying meal!
- 1 lb dry lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- Boil water.
- Add salt and lentils.
- Cover and cook over low heat 30 minutes.
- Do not drain.
- Add tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion, celery, garlic and cold water.
- Cover and continue to cook over low heat for an additional 30 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Turn off heat, taste for seasoning.
- I add about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Top with shredded cheese, chopped onion and a dollop of sour cream or whatever you usually put on your favorite chili!
This really tasted delicious. As I am on a non-fat diet I suppressed the grated cheese and sprinkled some lemon juice. I served it wiht couscous
This is sooooo good n light. Not heavy in your stomach like regular chili with ground beef. I only added half a sliced onion and 1 garlic clove n it was perfect. But to me what made it even better was after turning the stove off I added chopped cilantro and some corn. Thanks so much for this recipe.
*oHmIgOd* - This stuff rocks the veg world - I doubled the recipe and took a reviewer's suggestion, tossing in dark red kidney beans and tomato paste, then shook some tabasco in as well - with cheddar and sour cream (both fat free) this recipe's amazing! As a veg-head, it's awesome to finally find a veggie chile that actually TASTES like chili! Thank you thank you thank you guys!