Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A delicious full-flavored lamb stew --- you will need 3 large onions for this, beer or white wine may be used, my family likes lots of spice so I add in 3-4 teaspoons crushed red chili flakes :)
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon, diced
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs lamb shoulder, cut into about 2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (I use seasoned salt)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup water (to deglaze the skillet)
- 4 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup beer or 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 large onions, coarsley chopped
- 3 large potatoes, cut into about 1-inch cubes
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook the diced bacon; reserving the fat in the skillet, remove bacon to a plate and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour with 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper; add in the lamb cubes and toss meat to coat well.
- Reheat the reserved bacon fat in the skillet.
- Brown the meat in the bacon fat, if you run out of bacon fat, add a little oil.
- Transfer the browned meat to a large pot leaving about 1/4 cup of fat in the skillet.
- To the hot fat add the 1 chopped onion and saute until onion begins to colour a bit (about 5 minutes).
- Add in fresh garlic and thyme; cook for 2 minutes, then add in 1/4 cup water and deglaze the skillet.
- Transfer the onion/garlic mixture to the pot, along with the reserved bacon pieces, beef stock, bay leaves and beer or wine; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Add in the remaining two onions, carrots and potato cubes; cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the veggies are tender.
- Season with more salt and black pepper if desired.