Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Key lime pie with graham cracker crust. Cooking time includes time for pie to chill.
- 1 tablespoon plain gelatin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup key lime juice, strained
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lime peel, Grated
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 9 inches baked graham cracker crust
- Mix the gelatin, half of the sugar and the salt in a saucepan. In another pan, beat the egg yolks well. Add the lime juice and water to the egg yolk mixture. Stir the egg yolk mixture into the gelatin mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, just until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in grated peel.
- Chill, stirring occasionally, until the mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until stiff. Fold into the chilled gelatin mixture. Fold in whipped cream (reserve some for topping, if desired). Pour into the baked crust.
- Chill until firm.
I was really surprised this needed no baking and was kind of worried. However, when I tried it, I was thrilled with the results. FIRST EVER key lime pie. It was lightweight, and my family loved itl
I made this pie for christmas Dinner. I actually managed to find key limes and it took quite a few to get the juice. My family loved it though, it is a great pie. I actually prefer it to the pies that use sweetened condensed milk. It is a lighter consistency and I believe, less sweet. I love the tartness and used the Pecan pie crust found elsewhere on this website. The results were great
excellent recipe! i tried this yesterday, it was just the right blend of tart and sweet. it was so light and fluffy, like merangue. next time i'll make my own crust, but very tasty! thanks dawnab!