A simple, tasty and easy recipe I like:)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1 cup long-grain basmati rice, cleaned and washed
- 2 onions, sliced lengthwise
- 6 fresh curry leaves, washed
- 1 tomato, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 8 red chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons raw mangoes, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, washed and finely chopped
- 1Wash chickpeas in plenty of water and soak overnight in a bowl filled with water or for about 8 hours (overnight is what we do).
- 2The next day, when you want to prepare this pulao, soak rice for 30 minutes in water after cleaning and washing it in plenty of water.
- 3Cook rice in 2.
- 45 cups of water, on low-medium flame, partially covered, until all the water has been absorbed by the rice.
- 5Spread the cooked rice out in a broad plate.
- 6Allow it to cool.
- 7Now, pressure cook the chickpeas till it becomes soft.
- 8In a wok, heat oil on medium flame.
- 9When hot, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves to the oil and allow the seeds to splutter.
- 10Once they stop spluttering, add the sliced onions.
- 11Fry till the onions turn brown.
- 12Add the chopped tomato and stir-fry for a minute or two.
- 13In the meantime, grind the coconut, red chillies, turmeric powder and cumin seeds with water (as required) to make a smooth and fine paste.
- 14Add this paste to the wok.
- 15Stir well and allow to cook for 4 minutes till the oil starts to come out at the sides of the wok.
- 16Now add the cooked chickpeas.
- 17Add salt as required and allow to cook for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- 18Remove from flame.
- 19Add this chickpeas mixture to the cooked rice.
- 20Mix well.
- 21Add salt if required and the juice of a lemon.
- 22Garnish with corriander leaves and grated raw mango.
- 23Serve hot on its own or with plain yoghurt.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Indian Chickpeas Pulao
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.9
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 8.1 mg
- Sodium 110.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: