Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A simple, tasty and easy recipe I like:)
Make and share this Delicious Indian Chickpeas Pulao recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup chickpeas
- 1 cup long-grain basmati rice, cleaned and washed
- 2 onions, sliced lengthwise
- 6 fresh curry leaves, washed
- 1 tomato, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1⁄2 cup coconut, grated
- 8 red chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons raw mangoes, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, washed and finely chopped
- Wash chickpeas in plenty of water and soak overnight in a bowl filled with water or for about 8 hours (overnight is what we do).
- The next day, when you want to prepare this pulao, soak rice for 30 minutes in water after cleaning and washing it in plenty of water.
- Cook rice in 2.
- 5 cups of water, on low-medium flame, partially covered, until all the water has been absorbed by the rice.
- Spread the cooked rice out in a broad plate.
- Allow it to cool.
- Now, pressure cook the chickpeas till it becomes soft.
- In a wok, heat oil on medium flame.
- When hot, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves to the oil and allow the seeds to splutter.
- Once they stop spluttering, add the sliced onions.
- Fry till the onions turn brown.
- Add the chopped tomato and stir-fry for a minute or two.
- In the meantime, grind the coconut, red chillies, turmeric powder and cumin seeds with water (as required) to make a smooth and fine paste.
- Add this paste to the wok.
- Stir well and allow to cook for 4 minutes till the oil starts to come out at the sides of the wok.
- Now add the cooked chickpeas.
- Add salt as required and allow to cook for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Remove from flame.
- Add this chickpeas mixture to the cooked rice.
- Mix well.
- Add salt if required and the juice of a lemon.
- Garnish with corriander leaves and grated raw mango.
- Serve hot on its own or with plain yoghurt.