Prep 8 hrs
Cook 0 mins
If you are a horseradish lover then you will love this coleslaw --- plan ahead this needs to chill for a minimum of 8 hours or overnight and all ingredients may be adjusted to taste --- this is *very* good!
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (do not use salad dressing!)
- 2 -3 tablespoons prepared horseradish (or to taste)
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 3 green onions, finely chopped (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt (can use less)
- black pepper
- In a large bowl combine the first 5 ingredients; add in the shredded cabbage, carrots and green onions (if using) toss well to combine.
- Season with seasoning salt and black pepper.
- Cover and chill for a minimum of 8 hours or overnight.
This is a good and different coleslaw. Definitely tastes better the longer it marinates. I didn't have any carrots so I left that out. Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag Game 2011.
I enjoyed this. Not sure if I would make for a crowd. Mixed reviews from everyone else. Little too potent for the kids.
I almost never give a recipe 5 * the first time I make it, but this one definitely deserves it! I was skeptical that I could make a good slaw without added sugar. However, somehow, the horseradish managed to bring just enough natural sweetness of the cabbage and carrots. I used 3 T horseradish and 3 tsp. basil. Everyone ate this at dinner, and most of the family has voluntarily raided the fridge for the leftovers. I didn't even get complaints from folks who don't normally eat slaw. I see myself making this often!