1/2 Photos of Delicious Homemade Instant Jalebis!
I am so lucky to have got to learn these today on TV on Mirch Masala. These are wonderfully tasty, easy to make and absolutely, "TO DIE FOR"! You might think that making jalebis is horribly messy, no! Try this recipe. It works so well! I watched it on TV in the morning and in honour of Mirj Mom's b'day, I made these this afternoon to serve as an after dinner treat! I know quite a bunch of jalebi lovers exist in the world, but I'd love to find one who loves them more than my dad. My dad becomes the happiest man on the planet when served jalebis. He's spent quite a fortune on buying these from outside, NO MORE! Now on, his daughter will be making these for him:) Try these and enjoy is all I can say!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put flour in a mixing bowl.
- 2Add gramflour.
- 3Mix well.
- 4Add yogurt and water.
- 5Mix well, using a spoon, ensuring that no lumps remain.
- 6Mix to obtain what is technically called,"ribbon consistency".
- 7(Ribbon consistency simply requires you to mix for about 5-7 minutes, really well, so that when the mixture is dropped from the mixing spoon into the mixing bowl, it should fall like a ribbon. Don't let the term scare you, it's pretty easy, you just got to).
- 8Add a pinch of baking soda.
- 9At this point, this mixture (batter) can be refrigerated if you are planning on making the jalebis later.
- 10If you plan to make the jalebis instantly, put the mixture in a jalebi bottle (you get these bottles to make jalebis in the market).
- 11If you dont have a jalebi bottle, you can use an empty well-washed and thoroughly clean, tomato ketchup bottle.
- 12If you got an icing bag, use that.
- 13I used the icing bag with the"star" nozzle attachment.
- 14You may experiment with the other nozzles, if you wish, but please dont, in any circumstances, try using the"writing" nozzle attachment, because if you do so, the jalebis that you'll be making will be the thinnest on the face of the planet,lol.
- 15Heat oil on low-medium flame in a frying pan.
- 16Meanwhile, spoon the above prepared batter in the icing bag fitted with the star nozzle/jalebi bottle/ tomato ketchup bottle.
- 17Drop the batter by squeezing the bottle/icing bag, into the hot oil, in concentric circular motion to make the jalebis.
- 18Lightly brown on either side.
- 19Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- 20On low flame heat the pre-prepared sugar-water syrup (known in Hindi as"chashni").
- 21Add few threads of saffron to the syrup- these look really pretty on the jalebis later when you dip the latter into them.
- 22Now, drain the excess oil from the jalebis.
- 23Drop into the sugar-water syrup.
- 24Dip well, toss well, to coat the jalebis in the syrup.
- 25Drain excess syrup from the jalebis.
- 26Serve immediately or serve hot if you plan to serve them later on, make sure to warm them a bit in the oven (2-3 minutes) and then serve.
- 27Get ready to put on your apron and go make more of these because they'll vanish before you know!
- 28Don't blame ME if you get addicted to these like my DAD.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Homemade Instant Jalebis!
Serving Size: 1 (804 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.0
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 62.7 mg
- Sodium 7.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 1.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: