Why bother with store-bought purchased expensive Dijon mustard when you can make it yourself and it tastes just as good if not better, I know I make it all the time! --- plan well ahead this mustard needs to marinate in the fridge for 2 weeks before using the longer you leave it in the fridge the better it will be!
- In a non-stick saucepan combine the wine, onion and garlic; heat to boiling, simmer 5 minutes.
- Cool, and discard solids.
- Add the dry mustard to the cooked liquid, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Blend in honey, oil and salt; heat slowly until thickened (keep nose away; fumes are strong!), stirring constantly.
- Pour into a glass jar; cool, let sit on counter at room temperature overnight.
- Refrigerate for 2-8 weeks to age flavor before using.
This was really, really great. I feel compelled to note, though, that it comes from "Gourmet Mustards: The How-Tos of Making & Cooking with Mustards," by Helene Sawyer and Cheryl Long. I just finished making it from their book, and checked here to see if it had been posted (because I was going to!) I'm glad you made it public; this is a wonderful recipe. I've tried several other Dijon mustard recipes, but this is by far the easiest, and frankly I think it gives the best results. I used two different types of mustard powders from Penzey's -- the milder yellow mustard powder, and the spicy-hot Chinese mustard powder. I also threw in some juniper berries with the onion and garlic (got that from another recipe). I will never buy Dijon mustard again! This was much, much better, and not too time-consuming to make. Thanks for posting this!
This stuff is CRAZY good!!! Actually, I'm thinking that it should be renamed as "Honey Dijon Mustard" because the honey flavor really comes through nicely. The only change I made was to add about 1 1/2 TBLS of whole mustard seeds....just because. (I think they add to the look and the texture as well as the taste) And it turned out beautifully. Thanks for a forever keeper!
Imade this for a wedding (friends getting maried on a budget)I was doing the food for. It was GREAT. I had many request for recipe. I also had request to cater more parties. For the wine I used chardonnay. It was perfect.