Recipe by Lisa Clarice
These muffins are loaded with only good for you ingredients and have lots of options - be creative! I will suggest different options where possible or just make the recipe as stated for a deliciously moist and flavorful muffin for breakfast or afternoon snack.
- 118.29 ml wheat bran
- 118.29 ml oat bran
- 314.66 ml whole wheat flour
- 6.16 ml baking soda
- 0.59 ml salt
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ginger
- 295.73 ml low-fat buttermilk (or regular non-fat milk, soy milk, almond milk)
- 1 egg
- 1 ripe mashed banana (or 1/2 cup applesauce)
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 118.29 ml honey
- 22.18 ml oil (vegetable, canola, or safflower)
- 78.07 ml shredded coconut (optional)
- 78.07 ml dried currant (or raisins or cranberries, also optional)
- orange zest (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare a 12 muffin tin with liners or oil.
- Place all the dry ingredients including spices, in a blow and mix together, set a side.
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk, egg, vanilla and oil until well blended.
- Add the mashed banana, honey, and orange zest (if using) to the batter. Mix well.
- Add in the dry ingredients to batter and mix.
- Last add coconut and currants if using. You can also add pecans or walnuts if you like nuts in your muffins.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 24 minutes.