Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
My mother always made a heavenly squash casserole when I was growing up. This is my trimmed-down version that's super-easy to make and never dissapoints on taste. In the summer my husband and I eat this at least once a week and it's nearly guilt-free! I use 2% sharp cheddar and turkey bacon, but feel free to go full fat with some of the ingredients.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs summer squash, sliced
- 3 slices turkey bacon, cut into 1 inch bits
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper
- Put squash & bacon into glass, microwave-safe dish. Add salt & pepper & cover dish tightly with cling wrap.
- Microwave squash for 13 - 15 minutes. Remove clear wrap carefully. There will be lots of steam.
- Mash squash slighly with potato masher or large fork.
- Drain squash well (do NOT skip this step or casserole will be watery) and add back to glass bowl.
- Taste squash and season further if needed.
- Add beaten egg to squash and stir. Microwave until egg is set 3 - 5 minute.
- Transfer mixture to baking dish, cover with cheese & broil until cheese is melted.