Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is not hard to throw together, I make this quite often and my family loves this casserole!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- salt or seasoning salt and pepper
- 3 -4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb pepperoni, divided
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 4 cups pasta sauce
- 3 -4 cups rigatoni pasta (cooked to firm-tender and drained, do not overcook the pasta)
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Cook the gound beef in a medium skillet with the onions, green peppers, garlic, salt pepper until meat is browned and veggies are tender; drain fat, and mix in the Parmesan cheese.
- Stir in the 1/2-pound pepperoni (chop this pepperoni to add to the mixture, leave the remaining half pound pepperoni sliced), mushrooms, pasta sauce; stir well until combined; simmer for 20-25 minutes on top of stove.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the cooked rigatoni pasta on the bottom of the greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 2 cups mozzarella cheese over the pasta.
- Layer with pepperoni slices evenly over the cheese.
- Top with the ground beef/pasta sauce mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with the remaining 2 cups mozzarella cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until bubbly.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Everyone really liked this. I omitted the mushrooms and garlic, and decreased the pepperoni to one regular sized bag (6 oz). I also used mini rigatoni pasta and Ragu pizza sauce for the pasta sauce. I mixed up the ingredients somewhat before baking too, fearing the pasta would be too plain and it turned out really good. The flavors were good and I will definitely keep this one! It makes a lot, too, so you can have it for more than one meal!
Excellent recipe! It definitely gets 5 stars for flavor. I used 9 oz. of pepperoni because I didn't think my family and I could handle a whole pound! Some of my rigatoni noodles were a little hard, probably because I used cooking spray instead of "greasing" the pan. I will fix this next time. This is a keeper! Thanks for posting.
Amazing! I saved the recipe but forgot to review! We loved this!