Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Authentic Enchilada sauce is not tomato based. This recipe is delicious. Serve with one of the great spanish rice recipes here on Food.com and my Easy and Delicious Borracho Beans (Easy and Delicious Borracho Beans) and you have a great meal.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (this will be mild. 3 tablesoons medium)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese (this is NOT traditional but I like the creaminess it adds)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 onion, chopped (use 1/2 teaspoon onion powder if you have onion haters)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cheese, divided (your choice...i use the Mexiblend cheese)
- chopped tomato
- sour cream
- diced onion
- shredded lettuce
- Enchilada Sauce: In a medium saucepan heat butter, add flour, smoothing and stirring with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1 minute. Add chili powder, cumin and garlic powder and cook for 30 seconds. Slowly add chicken broth and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. The sauce will thicken and smooth out. Add salt and adjust as desired. Sprinkle cheese over top of sauce and stir in until melted.
- Enchiladas: While enchilada sauce is simmering, brown ground beef and onion. Season with garlic powder, salt, pepper and Worchestershire sauce. Stir in 1-1/2 cups of the cheese.
- In 10x13 baking pan, pour just enough enchilada sauce in the bottom to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Dip tortillas in enchilada sauce, coating both sides (one at a time).
- Fill each tortilla with a large spoonful of meat mixture.
- Roll tortilla and place seam side down in pan. Continue until meat mixture is gone.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over tortillas and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with desired garnishes.
First time ever attempting to make homemade enchiladas for my boyfriend and I, and this recipe was amazing, easy to make and turned out delicious! My boyfriend loved them to he thought they were so good, I will definitely be saving this recipe and making them again.