Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Prawns grilled in buttery chili sauce. This is divine. Do try and marinate for several hours it really brings out the flavour although I have made it immediately it is still delicious. Originally taken out of the Indian delights. Because of its high butter content we always have it on special occasions.
- 1 kg prawns (try to use queen or big ones always better for grilling)
- 125 g butter (no substitutes)
- 10 ml freshly crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 ml red chili pepper flakes (use more if you like it hotter the original recipe has 10ml)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 25 ml mayonnaise
- 25 ml chili sauce
- 15 ml lemon juice
- Wash and devein prawns but retain the shell. Retaining the shell makes it more tasty. Dry prawns well.
- Melt butter and add the garlic to to it; mix well.
- Add rest of the ingredients to butter mixture except prawns.
- Marinate the prawns in HALF of this marinade for several hours. 2-4hrs is sufficient. (I sometimes add all the sauce if I want it saucy).
- Place prawns in oven tray and grill till done on 180°C tossing them at intervals.
- Heat the rest of the marinade until thickens into a sauce pour some of the sauce over the grilling prawns and use the rest as a dipping sauce for prawns. Serve hot. Serve with savoury rice and a salad. You can also substitute prawns with shrimp.