zaar junkie's Note:
Made this on the grill last night and it was delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large wala wala onion, sliced thickly
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced thickly
- 10 large button mushrooms, cut in half
- 1/2 loaf garlic bread or 1/2 loaf French bread, sliced horizontally
- 8 slices cheese (I used pepperjack)
- 1Start up your grill.
- 2Make your marinade by mashing the garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper using a mortar and pestle. Add olive oil to cover this and mix well.
- 3Using a brush, brush one side of the onion slices and place the oiled side on the grill. Brush the other side. Cook until grill marks are shown and the onion is slightly browned and translucent. Do the same with the zucchini. You may have to cook these in batches, I cooked the onions first, then zucchini, then mushrooms. If you are doing it this way, once the onions are off and the zucchini are on, take the rest of your marinade mixture and using the oil only, mix the rest of the marinade on your mushrooms and let set while the zucchini are grilling. Cook mushrooms and then pull everything off the grill.
- 4Take your garlic bread or french bread and place, cut side down, directly on the grill. If using garlic bread you will probably get flames as the butter and oils drip down onto the coals. Be careful! The bread only needs to be on for a few minutes, until slightly toasted. Watch this carefully.
- 5Remove the bread and construct your open faced sandwich. Bread, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, cheese. Put back on the grill (non-heat side) and cover until cheese melts. Remove and get ready for some goodness.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Grilled Open-Face Veggie Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 423.6
- Calories from Fat 255
- Total Fat 28.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.5 g
- Cholesterol 72.7 mg
- Sodium 1109.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 25.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: