Prep 48 hrs
Cook 0 mins
These are the best mustard pickles that you will ever have...if you love mustard pickles, and have some time, these are well-worth the time and effort to prepare, once you make these a few times, you will probably do them with your eyes closed!...a definate must-make! Note: plan ahead, the blanched veggies have to sit for 12 hours.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 14 cups sliced pickling cucumbers
- 6 cups diced onions
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pickling salt
- 5 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons turmeric powder
- Trim the core off of cauliflower; cut into bite-size florets to make 8 cups.
- Place in a large stockpot, along with cucumbers, onions, red and green peppers.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup pickling salt; cover with cold water.
- Set aside in cool spot (do not refrigerate) for 12 hours.
- Return the pot to element; bring veggie mixture just to a boil, over med-high heat; drain in large colander, discarding brine.
- Set the veggies aside.
- Rinse the pot.
- Add 4 cups of vinegar; bring to boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together, sugar, flour, mustard and tumeric powder; whisk in 1 cup water, and remaining vinegar to make a smooth paste.
- Whisk into hot vinegar, and bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened (amout 3 minutes).
- Add the veggies, stir to coat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring gently.
- Ladle into 2-cup hot canning jars, leaving 1/2-inch head space.
- Cover with warm discs; screw on bands fingertip tight.
- Process in boiling water canner for 10 minutes.
- Remove, and let cool on rack.
24 hours soak worked out great, very good recipe.
These pickles turned out just as I remember the ones I would have as a child visiting Prince Edward Island. I didnt add the cauliflower because I forgot to buy it ....there is always next time.
These are the best mustard pickles I have made. They are tangy and the vegetables are still tender-crisp. I blanched the vegetables for 18 hours and they still turned out great.