Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 30 mins
This recipe for rye bread makes a medium-sized, heavy loaf. It is great served with butter, mustard, and cold meats. It's also delicious when toasted in the morning, and spread with lashings of butter and honey. Mmmm!
- Place wholewheat flour, rye flour, rolled rye, salt and caraway seeds (if used) in a bowl. Make a well in center.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the well.
- Mix all ingredients initially with a wooden spoon, until roughly mixed.
- If mixture seems too dry, add a little more water/beer.
- Kneed the mixture for 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic, adding a little more flour from time to time if the mixture is too sticky.
- Form dough into a ball, and cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap or a damp teatowel.
- Leave to prove for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, preheat oven to 200°C.
- Take the cover off the mixing bowl. Punch the dough down in the center.
- Lightly oil a baking tray or loaf tin and dust with flour.
- Shape dough into desired form (e.g. freeform oblong shape, or in square loaf tin, etc).
- Leave alone until nearly doubled in size.
- Place in hot oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how crusty you like it.
- The loaf should be cooked when it gives a hollow sound when tapped.
- Allow to cool before serving - it is usually better the day after baking.