Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Absolutely delicious and light! Tastes just like a regular pumpkin pie, but healthier! Serve with whipped cream or plain.
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups pumpkin puree
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg or 1⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- Separate egg whites from yolks.
- Add 1/2 tsp of salt to egg yolks and whisk.
- Mix egg yolks, vanilla, sugar, butter, pumpkin, spices, and yogurt.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not peaked and fold into the batter til smooth.
- Pour into 1 greased pie dish or cake pan.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
I thought the flavor of the pumpkin pie was great and it had a nice creamy texture, but I did have a difficult time getting it out of the pie pan and serving it. I used ground cloves instead of nutmeg and that gave me the traditional pumpkin pie flavor I was after. I was a little confused about the butter - is it supposed to be melted or softened? I assumed softened, but after I started mixing it, I realized it would have been better to cream the butter and sugar together first, then add the pumpkin, yogurt, etc. to assure even mixing.
This is delicious and easy to make. I liked the "tang" that the yogurt gives it. Texture is good. I cut recipe in half and baked in a small pie dish and it worked great. Will be making this again, as I love pumpkin pie but don't need the crust. Made for Spring 2013 PAC.