Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
The first time I made these muffins I was pleasantly surprised at how moist and light they were using such a small amount of oil. If you are on a diabetic or low carb diet, you will be thrilled to have this easy, recipe, and if you aren't on a diet, you will still love the taste and nutrition these muffins offer. I found this recipe on a low carb website...but forgot which one! I am experimenting with different flavors of protein powder and extracts and have so far enjoyed chocolate, vanilla and berry.
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup whey protein powder, any flavor
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup artificial artificial sweetener
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, any flavor
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Beat egg with oil and water and pour into the dry mixture stirring until blended. Fold in the nuts.
- Grease a 6 hole muffin tin -- or spray with Pam.
- Spoon batter into tins and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with butter and/or jam.
Wow! Now of course, this doesn't have flour so though moist, it's not that same moist texture you would get with flour but what a healthy treat! Tastes like a yummy cookie to me. I loved the nutty flavor. This one will become a staple! I also love how I'll be able to pack these for a healthy snack or eat with some fruit for breakfast. I used finely ground flaxseed (found at Whole Foods) and threw the nuts in the processor to get them chopped up well, since I knew I wouldn't like big chunks of nuts. Thank you!
Thank you thank you thank you - I'm back on strict Atkins and needed something legal that tastes forbidden. These are terrific and so flexible and easy. Because I'm sodium sensitive I cut the baking powder by 1/3 - no problem. I added ground cinnamon and ginger - delicious.
Wonderful muffins, and I even forgot the extract. Just enjoyed one warm from the oven as a snack with cream cheese. I had already ground almonds to use as flour so I added some of that instead of chopped nuts. Gave these an almost corn muffin texture. I used a cookies and cream protein powder and it was delish. Thanks for sharing.