1 hr 15 mins
Um Safia's Note:
For some reason I managed to mess up carrot cake on a regular basis - it was always too wet or too dry, too dense or too crumbly! I just couldn't find a recipe that suited me & the oven! This recipe produces a light, delicately spiced carrot cake. You can use the icing or use your favourite buttercream or frosting on this. Sometimes I use a basic buttercream with added cinnamon which is amazing ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 175 g brown sugar (muscovado)
- 160 ml sunflower oil or 160 ml canola oil
- 3 large free range eggs, lightly beaten
- 170 g grated carrots
- 50 g mixed peel
- 50 g desiccated coconut
- 1 grated large orange, zest of
- 180 g self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4/fan 160°C Oil and line the base and sides of an 18cm square cake tin with baking parchment.
- 2Pour sugar into a large mixing bowl, pour in the oil and add the eggs. Lightly mix with a wooden spoon. Stir in the grated carrots, mixed peel, coconut, nuts and orange rind.
- 3Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices, then sift into the bowl. Lightly mix all the ingredients - stop as soon as you see everything is mixed together. The mixture will be fairly soft and almost runny.
- 4Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 55-65 minutes, until it feels firm and springy when you press it in the centre & comes out clean 7 dry with the toothpick test. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn it out, peel off the paper and cool on a wire rack. (You can freeze the cake at this point.)
- 5Squeeze the orange into a small bowl & add enough sifted icing sugar to make a pourable icing - beat until smooth & the consistency of single cream. Place cake on a serving plate and drizzle icing over the top, letting it drip down the sides.
Browse Our Top For Large Groups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Every Time - No Fail Carrot Cake!
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.1
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 37.2 mg
- Sodium 271.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of